Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Passports and Traveling to Canada

Passport Assistance

With Western New York's close proximity to Canada and the Peace Bridge, the busiest passenger crossing between the US and Canada, located in Buffalo, many of Brian's constituents may have questions about passports. To that end, here are some helpful links. 

Should you have any additional questions, or would like assistance in an emergency travel situation, do not hesitate to contact Brian's office.

To read more about Brian's efforts to protect cross border travel and trade, visit the Peace Bridge page.


Traveling to Canada (land and sea travel)

  • Passport Cards: The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.
  • Enhanced Drivers License (EDL): This optional travel document also serves as a New York State Driver’s License and will be accepted as an alternative to a passport for all land and sea travel between the United States, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. An EDL is valid for Eight Years, the same as NYS Regular Driver License.
  • Nexus Pass: NEXUS is a joint program with the Canada Border Services Agency that allows prescreened, approved travelers faster processing.
  • Peace Bridge Authority: The Peace Bridge is located near the center of downtown Buffalo, New York and Fort Erie, Ontario, where it crosses the Niagara River. The Peace Bridge is one of four vehicular toll crossings over the Niagara River in the Buffalo-Niagara region.

Frequently Asked Passport Questions