Higgins Commends Action to Create Sand Beaches Along Outer Harbor
Congressman Brian Higgins applauded today’s action by the Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation (ECHDC) to construct sand beaches at Gallagher Beach and the Outer Harbor Parcel that was once the home of the NYPA Ice Boom.
“If you took a walk or bike ride along the Gallagher Beach boardwalk this summer you noticed people making Buffalo’s waterfront their own, which included beach activities at Gallagher,” said Congressman Higgins. “The public is way ahead of us on this. Prior to today they had to settle for less than they deserve. This community, this city, deserves beachfront destinations and sandy areas to unfold their chairs and enjoy our waterfront and this action by the Erie Canal Harbor Board does just that.”
- $3.3 million project funded with NYPA Relicensing Agreement Proceeds
- Adjacent to Times Beach on a portion of the 21 acres of property comprised of land previously used by NYPA for storage of the ice boom and an additional property formerly owned by Cargill
- Project to include shoreline stabilization, unique landscape features, ADA compliant natural features, wind sculptures, a comfort station and pedestrian trails
- In addition to the public facilities, a portion of the site will be made shovel ready for future private development
- Construction set to begin September 2012 and completed by next summer.
- Total project cost $1.4 million in federal funding
- Includes creation of a pavilion and picnic area at Gallagher Beach and construction of a boardwalk and decorative signage.
- Completed: May 2012