HIGGINS AND RYAN CELEBRATE PROGRESS AND NEW INVESTMENT AT FORMER AUD BLOCK SITES AT CANALSIDE
BUFFALO – Today, May 24, 2017, Congressman Brian Higgins and New York State Assemblyman Sean Ryan celebrated the announcement of progress and new investment at the former Aud Block sites at Canalside. Today, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that $2 million in state funding would go toward kick-starting development on the South Aud Block Site. In addition, an RFP will be issued for the South Aud Block in June, and for the North Aud Block this fall. Last month, Higgins and Ryan visited Canalside and urged the Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation to move forward with their 2013 Canalside Modified General Project Plan (MGPP) which called for the creation of public amenities at Canalside. Higgins and Ryan said a Buffalo-centric food destination would be an incredible asset for Canalside, and would be complementary to the creation of a vibrant mixed-use neighborhood. The funding and RFP process announced today will lay the foundation for private investment, and move the MGPP forward toward reality.
Congressman Brian Higgins said “For three and a half years, portions of the Aud block laid dormant and in disrepair. Now the promised public amenities at Canalside featuring iconic, Buffalo-themed restaurants and residential development are finally moving forward. The Canalside Master Plan called for the use of $20 million of NYPA settlement proceeds for the public infrastructure to support new mixed-use space, including exciting local retail and restaurant options.”
Assemblyman Sean Ryan said “I am pleased to see that New York State is moving forward with this investment toward development at the Aud Block sites. Congressman Higgins and I have stressed the importance of following through with the 2013 MGPP at the Aud Block sites, and today we move one step closer to that vision.”