Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the House of Representatives. The over-all winner of our district's competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will also include artwork from other contest winners nation-wide.
- Original artwork must be submitted by 5:00pm on Thursday, April 9, 2015 to Congressman Higgins’ Buffalo office at 726 Exchange Street, Suite 601 or the Niagara Falls office at 640 Park Place.
- All submissions will be on public display in the first floor lobby at the Larkin at Exchange Building at 726 Exchange Street in Buffalo from April 20th through May 3rd. On May 3rd, Congressman Higgins will host a ceremony and reception for teachers, students and their families where the top winners will be announced. Students can take their artwork home with them after the reception.
- From April 20th through April 30th all submissions will be posted in a virtual gallery on Congressman Higgins website with additional viewing opportunities through the Congressman’s Facebook page and Twitter feed. The public will be able to vote for their favorite pieces online.
- Local leaders in the Western New York art community will help select the winning piece which will be sent to the Capitol. Additional prizes will be awarded for the piece that best represents Western New York and the top vote earner on the online gallery. An Award Reception for teachers, students and their families will be held on Sunday, May 3, 2015 from 2-3pm in the display area on the first floor lobby at Larkin at Exchange, 726 Exchange Street.
- The competition is open to high school students. Each piece must be no more than 28 inches by 28 inches and no more than 4 inches in depth. A copy of the student release form must be attached to the back of all artwork and must be presented ready for display with a picture hanger attached.
- Access the student release form here: https://higgins.house.gov/sites/higgins.house.gov/files/2015_Student_Release_FormArtCompetition.pdf
- Access competition guidelines here: https://higgins.house.gov/sites/higgins.house.gov/files/2015_ArtCompetitionGuidelines.pdf
Any questions can be directed to Evelyn Williams at Evelyn.Williams@mail.house.gov or at 716-852-3501.